Saturday, August 4, 2012

Patriotic Log Cabin…and bikes!

PatrioticLogCabin-Dawn2I haven't been online much, with my new work schedule; I’ve been getting there early and staying late.  I’m loving my new job!  I'm just so focused while I'm there, which is a great thing.

The last three customer quilts I’ve finished have been on a deadline, too, so I’ve just had my head down plugging away.  As the days, and projects go by, I keep thinking “I gotta blog about this!”…and then I go to bed.  Sigh, there’s just never enough time in the day.  So, I will catch you up on the latest quilts, starting with this patriotic log cabin.

This is the one I was working on when my leaders came un-taped from the take up bar.  PatrioticLogCabin-Dawn1I was frustrated with this design because it is so detailed and I couldn’t seem to get a lot of it right.  Of course, my nose was right up in it so I saw every little mistake.  Overall, it turned out well, and my customer was very happy with it.  She did a fabulous job on the piecing and it laid nice and flat the whole time!

I’ve been working on the Jelly Roll Quilters mystery quilt for the past 3 months.  This month’s installment involved cutting the strips down into tiny little pieces to make log cabins for the design.  I haven't even touched those log cabin blocks.  I'm not a huge fan of making them, but my first obstacle was having to cut them into those tiny strips, so I've just been ignoring this step.  Guess I'd better get on it if I want to keep up!

mybikeOver Father’s Day weekend I had a friend I've known for 25 years come to visit me from Tacoma, Washington (near Seattle) where I used to live.  She came to run in a half marathon race, and I was there to cheer her on!

During our excursions after the race I bought a used bicycle from Boise Bike Project!  I’ve started riding it to work, about 10 miles, and I’m completely loving it!!  Because the temperatures have been in the high 90’s, my husband comes to pick me up after work so I don't have to ride it back home in the heat.  Besides, I'm not yet in good enough shape for the round trip, but I hope to be soon!

I’ve completed two additional customer quilts since the log cabin, including the binding on one of them, which I almost never do.  She, however, isn't a seamstress, and this is an heirloom top (it was made in the 1980's by the customer's mother) that I turned into a quilt as her daughter's upcoming wedding gift.  I love how it’s turned out and I’ll post pictures once she sees it.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Lovely quilting! It sounds like you've been really busy lately. I've been trying to cycle in the mornings too, before it gets too hot. Hopefully it will cool off soon....

Print Friendly