Monday, January 27, 2014

Where Did January Go?

DSCF7690I’ve always had a special relationship with January.  Not only is January the beginning of the new year, when almost everyone is making New Year’s resolutions, it’s my birthday month.

This year we went on a 5 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean to celebrate!  We had two ports of call, Progreso, Yucatan and Cozumel, Mexico.DSCF7752

We got to see the Mayan ruins at Dzibilchaltún, white sandy beaches at Cozumel, watched an early DSCF7833morning sunrise from the deck of the ship, danced The Macarena on the catamaran DSCF7897back from the beach, watched the Seahawks beat New Orleans amidst a whole ship full of New Orleans Saints fans (that was exciting!), walked through the City Park in New Orleans, and ate way too much food!

DSCF7901

We had a wonderful time and without being at home, where I have too many tasks and projects to work on, it gave me time to think.

I’ve always been a little reflective around my birthday.  Rather than making New Year’s resolutions, I start thinking of what I’ve done in the past year that I like, and what do I want to do differently, so I can grow as a person.  That doesn’t sound much different than most people’s motivation for making New Year’s resolutions, but for me it’s the birthday and not the time of year.  I’ll never truly know, since I can’t change my birthday!

 

  1. Work on becoming more mindful
  2. Take better care of my health
  3. Take more family time
  4. Take one weekend a month for “me” time!
    That means sewing on personal projects as well as knitting and spinning.
  5. De-clutter!!
    This goes without saying, but all the stuff I’ve accumulated needs to be evaluated for its value in adding, or taking away, from the joy it brings to my life.  Too much stuff clutters up my brain!

Now that I’m back home, and back to reality, I need to deal with my computer crash, my messy sewing room, desk and dining room table.  It’s also a time to spend with friends and be mindful of how I spend my time.

It’s going to be a great year!

No comments:

Print Friendly