I’ve been working with a fellow Onion (that is, a Treadle On member) from Michigan to get a shuttle that will fit the Improved Hackett’s Beauty treadle I bought last summer. We finally found a shuttle and bobbin, and I’m really excited! It turned out that the Eldredge E shuttle was the perfect fit.
I borrowed a treadle belt tool and got the belt installed, but the machine was really noisy, like something wasn’t right. I was pretty sure the clangy sound was coming from the foot pedal, and as I was playing with last weekend, the pedal "fell off" the machine! That wasn’t too surprising, as the bolts that were holding it in were at an angle, instead of holding everything in straight. So, I cleaned up the metal bar underneath the pedal, got some Triflow in there to loosen it up (I’ll add grease later) and put it back together and now only a little clangy noise left!
It was so fun to see that it was actually treadling. However, there was an intermittent rubbing sound and I realized that I’d installed the belt incorrectly; it was winding through one of the supports underneath. I disconnected the belt, re-threaded it, tightened it up and re-connected it, and, no surprise here, the rubbing sound disappeared.
I also made a shuttle cover out of an old credit card, which is pretty nifty, so still need to keep my eye out for a real one.
I also found some help threading it! You can see from this side view that it’s not exactly intuitive! I realized that I’m missing the bobbin winder finger, but I was able to wind a little bit of thread on the bobbin. I’ve had to work on getting the tension right, and it’s making stitches, but they’re not as good as I’d like so I’ll have to continue to work on that.
The next thing I need to address is that the machine doesn't lift up flush with the rest of the cabinet. I discovered that when I push up on a bar underneath that is connected to the chain in the back it will sit flush, so now I have to figure out if the mechanism simply needs to be tightened, or if the chain needs to be adjusted. I can't imagine how to adjust the chain!!
I also found a 15x1 needle and got that installed, however, it’s not the size of needle the machine calls for. I was able to make it work by moving the needle down in the needle holder so that the shuttle could catch the thread. That could also affect the stitches so I’ll have to see if I can find a longer needle.
I am SO close to having it all put together!! And I couldn't have done it without help from my new friend in Michigan. I love the internet!