So, you might be wondering how the story, uh, quilt, ended after I found the binding fabric for the Lone Star graduation quilt.
The answer is…Wonderfully!
Here it is, all 98” x 98”, in all its glory, shown on a king sized bed.
I used double layers of batting to take up the fullness and prevent the dark backing from showing through to the front. Hobbs 80/20 was the bottom layer and I put the highest loft poly I could find on top of that. I have to say, there was still a lot of fullness, and quite a challenge in some areas, even with the additional batting, but I probably would have been bald if I’d not taken those additional steps.
I used Aurfil thread to stabilize the quilt, then changed to Omni thread on the cream colored sections, Glide on the stars, and even used some King Tut variegated thread on the center star.
I’m sure the graduate will cherish her grandmother’s quilt and I think it will stand the test of time.