Thursday, December 6, 2012

Dog Panel with Satin Binding

DSCF5995My neighbor commissioned me to do a quilt for her from a purchased panel made from chenille and flannel.  She got this one at the same time she bought the pink and white panel, which I also quilted for her. 

I used high loft polyester batting with Sew Fine thread, which created a trapunto look. It’s quite cuddly and soft, and I think it will be loved for a long time.

She likes satin binding on the baby quilts, and while I understand why, they aren’t exactly the easiest thing to apply.   However, since I made DSCF5994the first quilt I saw a demonstration on TV by Nancy Zieman that showed how to sew the corners closed as you attach the binding, and I tried it on this quilt.

Of course, I wasn’t able to find the demonstration online anywhere after I saw it aired on TV, DSCF6006so it took me awhile to get to finishing the project.  I used a straight, rather than a zigzag and it finished up quite nicely, although it does leave a bit of a “lip” on the back of the quilt.  I think I’ll try a decorative stitch next time.  The only thing I wish I could have figured out DSCF6002was how to hide the seam that connects the ends of the satin in that corner.  Maybe someone out there can tell me of a better way?

No comments:

Print Friendly