Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pink and White with Satin

LauraRichard-pink-white-satin-baby12I tried a new technique using a satin blanket binding over Christmas break.

This is a purchased panel that used fleece, flannel and minkee in the top.  I added high loft fleece and quilted it with a freehand flower design,LauraRichard-pink-white-satin-baby13 using a flannel back that matched one of the patches in the top.

Since I’d never used the satin before, and wanted a mitered corner like my traditional quilts, I went to YouTube!  I found a very clear and easy video on the ExpertVillage that explained the process.

LauraRichard-pink-white-satin-baby9Since the time that this project was completed, I saw a PBS Sewing with Nancy show that demonstrated how to sew the corners down and miter them all at the same time.  I really liked the technique because the corners turned out crisp.  I haven’t found the video online, but if I will keep my eye out for it.

Even though my project turned out really cute, I wish I’d seen Nancy’s technique before I’d finished mine!  My corners were left open, which bothered me, but I couldn’t figure a way to closeLauraRichard-pink-white-satin-baby5 them without making the seams obvious, so I just decided to let it go, which was hard for me to do!

I don’t usually like high loft batting, but it worked really well to fill in the fullness that the different fabrics created, and gave the blanket a lot of weight.  It will be perfect for tummy time!



No comments:

Print Friendly