Sunday, April 10, 2011

Focus on Finishing…sort of!

This weekend was way too short!

I’ve been so focused lately on trying to get everything done that I want, and need, to get done, that it seems that nothing actually gets finished, everything seems to be in various states of completion…and I’m finding that frustrating right now.  I feel like I’m just *this close* to having something to show for my efforts, but it’s just not ready yet.  I guess that’s how I end up with several projects in progress at a time!  Oh, that, and the fact that ideas pop into my head, one right after another, and I don’t have enough time in the day to do them all!  Or I need to learn a new skill in order to even start….

I ended up working on the computer for most of yesterday, rather than getting into the Quilt Cave as I’d intended, then stayed up far too late trying to finish up a separate computer project, so I slept away half the morning.  That’s just Robbing Peter to Pay Paul…hmmm…maybe I need to make that quilt to remind myself not to do this anymore….!

Today, though, I finished one of my customer’s quilts that I’d started last weekend, although I haven’t had a chance to take pictures yet.  Once I finished it and trimmed it up, I started auditioning border fabrics for two small baby quilts that I’ve had hanging in my closet for awhile.  I got news that one of my cousins just had a baby girl, and I’d like to send them a quilt, and I’m thinking one of these would be perfect!  That is, after all, why I made them!

Speaking of finishing projects, earlier in the week I was excited to find more of the white and pink border fabric I had purchased to complete the flannel quilt.  Yesterday I realized that the amount that was cut was actually less than I’d asked for, but I can also use that initial amount of fabric I’d purchased to complete the project.  So now I just need to find it, then cut and add the borders.  Now, where did I put that??  The backing was purchased awhile ago and the perfect thread arrived last week with my Superior Threads order.  I’ve been thinking I should do an overall meander because it’s so busy, rather than a pantograph design, although on flannel, a design could be really interesting.  I’m still not sure if I should use cotton batting or cotton/poly, though, considering the nature of flannel, that is.  It sure would be nice to have this done in the next couple of days, so I can take it to the Guild meeting on Thursday!

Borders are sort of a stumbling block for me, although I’m not quite sure why.  Maybe it’s the pressure of putting them on so that they aren’t wavy when I’m quilting them.  Or maybe, it’s knowing that the borders can make or break a quilt; they add such personality!  Or maybe it’s just the perfectionist in me….

In any case, I wish I had another day to play…



No comments:

Print Friendly