Monday, March 16, 2009

Great weekend!

I got so much done! First of all, I am almost finished with getting my tax information ready to give to the accountant (I know, I should have all the way finished that, but the QOV quilt was calling!)

I had a friend over and we had planned to go to one of the area yarn shops, as I haven't completely converted her to quilting yet. We didn't even leave the house after lunch! We ended up petting Rosie and Gizmo, who were quite excited about getting a visitor, petting fabric, loading a baby quilt for the guild charity, as she wanted to see how my toy worked,DSCF2922 and generally having a grand time. We even joined her and her companion for dinner and a movie, which we never do! We saw Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino; it was quite good, very thought provoking and intense.

DSCF2912Since I only need to add borders to the Turning Twenty quilt that I started in Montana, yesterday I started a Quilt's of Valor quilt.

Scrappy9PatchIt's been on my mind to do this for awhile, and I had started collecting some fabrics that I thought would be suitable.

I met an Army chaplain on the plane to Hawaii last year, and he told me that making them longer and heavier is a good idea for any of the ones going to the war zone itself, as it's so darn cold there in the winter. There's also a need to have some "generic" quilts, where they're not all red, white and blue. I have a bunch of 5" plaid squares that I got at last year's guild Yard Sale and I started putting them together with the dark blues I had been collecting, and added some lighter blues in and I suddenly was putting together a scrappy nine patch. I got 7 blocks done, and the makings of quite a few more started, in about 3 hours!MorePatches

I started to run out of the plaids, so instead of making it 4 across, I rearranged to 3 across. At 42" it seems small to me still, and not yet at the minimum requirement of 50", but getting a quilt to be larger has never been a problem for me! Except for trying to make it more generic, I'm thinking of adding a narrow maroon border around all of it, and then adding a scrappy dark blue border to that. I've already got the maroon flannel that will go on the back; I love flannel backed quilts.

No comments:

Print Friendly