Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Quilting again!

 

20131020_120809

Well, it seems that my machine is fixed, at least well enough to quilt with.  It still has a couple of quirks to it; I can’t quite put the action into words so haven’t called tech support about it yet.  I’m just glad I was able to complete a quilt without any trouble!

Of course, I was so excited to get it to my customer, Lorraine, that I forgot to take photos!  This is the sneak preview I sent her, so you’ll just have to wait until I get a photo of the full quilt from her.

This is one of the Rail Fence quilting that came from my Foundational Quilting Skills class I taught last winter through Continuing Ed.  I’m planning to invite Lorraine back to spend some time re-learning how to attach the binding because it’s been awhile since she’s been able to sew and wants to do a good job on it.  Not only was it fun to teach the class, I also made a new friend!

In the meantime, tonight I tried my hand at free motion quilting on my Singer 201-2 tonight.  It wasn’t the smoothest experience; it seems the lever wasn't "hopping" with the foot and I was getting large runs of skipped stitches.  I even swapped out the all metal hopping foot with another one I had that had a plastic stem.  It's possible, though, that I tried something too thick so I’ll try a different project another time.

Tonight’s project was a bag of scraps that will be donated to the Humane Society for crate beds.  Lots of quilters here in the Treasure Valley are making the beds but aren’t quilting them.  I think they’ll get all lumpy when washed so I wanted to add a bit of quilting and this was a perfect opportunity to try out one of my vintage machines.

It was fun, too, because I learned how to drop the feed dogs on this machine, and I’ve been wanting to figure this out for awhile.  Still, I think I prefer the longarm!

Enjoy your Halloween!

No comments:

Print Friendly